- December 20, 2008; 2:00 PM
- December 21, 2008; 6:00 PM
- December 27, 2008; 2:00 PM and 8:00 PM
- December 28, 2008; 2:00 PM and 6:00 PM
‘Tis the season … for New Voices Playwrights Theatre’s annual Holiday Show. The Cabrillo Playhouse (202 Avenida Cabrillo, San Clemente  492-0465) was the venue for the production of six plays over the weekends before and after Christmas.
The dates for the performances were: 2 p.m. Dec. 20; 6 p.m. Dec. 21; 2 and 8 p.m. Dec. 27; and 2 and 6 p.m. Dec. 28. Tickets were $15 for adults; $13 for seniors, students and military. Content of the productions is suitable for family audiences.
The lineup is as follows:
- “Best Chance, Chance Best” by John Bolen. An older woman whose husband suffers from Alzheimer’s fights for love and its memories when her son wants to move them to a nursing home.
- “Christmastime Machine” by Lynne Bolen. A man enters a lonely cafe on Christmas eve and strikes up a relationship with the waitress.
- “Home for Christmas” by Michael Buss. An elderly man awaits the arrival of a son for Christmas dinner, but his wife fears the son may never come.
- “Spiritual Entitlement” by Joanne Freeman. A wife gives her new husband an early Christmas gift, with unexpected consequences.
- “The Tree” by John Lane. A couple await the arrival of an upscale relative. The problem is the Christmas tree: It’s still up and it’s Feb. 22.
- “Waiting for Dodo” by John Richardson. Two Godot-like characters meet on a moor and are visited by a young lady. Many things are discussed.
- “Bittersweet Smell of Success” by Linda Whitmore. A woman working the perfume counter during the holiday rush reminisces about the path not taken.